MUC6446: Composition of Electroacoustic Music/Digital 2
MAX Assignment No. 4
The objective of this assignment is is to create an real-time environment to produce Alvin Lucier's "I am sitting in a room" (1969).
- record a variable length spoken word quotation.
- set loop time of recording based on a variable length recording.
- playback the initial recording into an "interesting" acoustic space and record this performance.
- continue this process of alternating playback of previous recording in the space.
- continue with a pre-determined number of repetitions and stop automatically.
1) Read the directions for the creation of the work in Lucier's book "Chambers" (1980)
2) Download and read Chris Burns' ICMC 2001 Paper on creating such environments for the Lucier work as well as Karlheinz Stockhausen's "Mikrophonie 1." [.pdf]
The patcher should be able to:
TABLE OF OBJECTS
|signal level meter|
|signal level fader|
TEXT FOR LUCIER WORK:
I am Sitting in a Room different to the one you are in now. I am recording the sound of my speaking voice and I am going to play it back into the room again until the resonant frequencies of the room reinforce themselves so that any semblance of my speech, with perhaps the exception of rhythm, is destroyed. What you will hear, then, are the natural resonant frequencies of the room articulated by speech. I regard this activity not so much as a demonstration of a physical fact, but more as a way to smooth out any irregularities my speech might have.